Thursday, October 11, 2012

Garage Sale!


   I visited my parents last week for the main purpose of having a garage sale that weekend. Not only did I want to help so I could make a little moolah, I knew it probably wouldn't happen if I wasn't there. Mom really does not like garage sales. She doesn't like the planning, pricing, haggling, clean up..you get the picture. I, on the other hand, enjoy garage sales. It's like free money to me..I don't count the labor costs. And I need all the money I can get these days.

    Before we got into garage sale mode we had some fun earlier in the week. Monday and Tuesday Ava and Hank stayed with us. I was able to use a few creative ideas I'd thought of to add a craft or two to the fun. We went on a leaf hunt in the pasture so they could put leaves on the outline of their arm/hand and decorate it. It turned out to be more fun gathering the leaves than putting them on the paper...especially for Hank and Cooper. We started off close to the house but then wound up following the creek a little ways and had to trudge up a hill to get back home. I got a little exercise anyway.

 Ready for adventure


 Reminds me of Little House on the Prairie 

See that structure in the distance? That's the house. 

    Cooper enjoyed having Hank and Ava over. He was in prime form showing off and being silly so we didn't go to bed very early Monday night.


 SHowing off the crafts.

Playing with a toy that Garrett made

    Wednesday we went to Gma and PawPaw's to visit. I haven't been there in about a year, so I was so glad that we went to visit. We had such a good time too. They have about 10 acres and they have maximized every bit of it. Paw Paw always has a big garden going with perfectly tilled soil and straight rows. They also have some cows and plenty of chickens. Cooper and I got to gather the eggs and get a look at the greens PawPaw already has growing.



 The wine I helped to bottle


 Picking up pecans and putting them in the basket...


 Behind me is the corn patch for spring..huge!
 The smokehouse and chicken pen

 Winter greens

Coop's favorite part..PawPaw's tractor...sorry about the goofy smile

    I helped PawPaw bottle wine after lunch. He makes home made wine...which I must say is very delicious. While we bottled Cooper played on his tractor...even stopping to come in and tell him that he really liked his tractor. After that we picked up pecans and visited. We didn't leave until dark and finally made it home about 11. That's when the fun began because Ace didn't go to sleep until 2 am. Whew!

     Thursday I made my move on the garage sale items and three hours of lone work later I had it looking like a real garage sale set up. Mom may have had the harder job watching the boys. That night we set out the calculator and signs and went to bed semi-early.

 Ready for business



Mom's method of getting Ace to sleep...works pretty well

     Friday morning dawned and I was ready to go. I took the money, calculator, cookies I'd made to sell (total bust by the way) and a positive attitude and headed to the house. Dad hung the signs on his way to work and the garage sale was open for business. I had lots of customers  Friday and made a good amount of money. Cooper really enjoyed the garage sale too. It was his chance to play with things he normally would get into trouble for messing with.

Checking out the merchandise

After Friday's sale!

    At the end of the day we were tired but happy. Mom and Dad were pleasantly surprised that we'd done so well, and I was ready for day two. Unfortunately day two turned out to be not so great. I said it was because we counted our money on Friday and got our hopes up but it was probably because there were events going on in Teague and Fairfield that weekend and the fact that it was cold and cloudy outside. We finally closed up shop and pretty much did nothing the rest of the evening.

 After Saturday's sale...

Cooper got tired of waiting and headed to the house himself. 
Look way up there on the left.
We kept waiting for him to stop but he never did...kinda worries me. 

    I'm hoping to get another chance to sell more some other weekend. We sold a lot but there was still so much left over! Mom and Dad aren't too into that idea though, so it may all get donated. Either way, it was a successful week/weekend. Mostly because I got to spend it with Mom and Dad. I miss having them close so much.

 Sleeping with horsey and his new buddy Buckee the Beaver,
on our way to meet Daddy

Happy to see his Dad!

    Now it's party planning time. I've talked Dalton into having a costume party to celebrate Fall and have sent out invitations. I can't wait!

"And behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, ... I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of." Genesis 28:15

No comments:

Post a Comment